Thursday, July 14, 2011

Episodio Nueve (July 14, 2011)

Buenos días otra vez, mis amigos!

Another foggy morning in Cusco. First, an update on Daniel´s (and my, I guess) health, since he was sort of the headliner last time. We are both doing well, and are cold-free! (Although I still have a cough I can´t quite shake, but I think that´s more the dust and my reflux than anything else.)

Our big  news (such as it is) for this week is that last night we had our first informal team meeting for the prospective members of Wiñarisum Alianza de Salud (Wiñarisum Health Alliance). So far our team consists of Adolfo, Rica (the obstetrician I talked about a while back), and Wilbert (the missionary I mentioned a while ago also). Last night we talked through the objectives and organization of both the project and Wiñarisum itself, as well as our next steps (aka go to Ocopata as a group and meet with the community leaders). It was a wonderful, productive meeting -- we are planning to make our first trip to Ocopata hopefully this weekend, if all goes well.

So that was super duper exciting!!!

In other news this week, Daniel and I have just really been enjoying each other´s company. I think we´ve finally figured out how to be ´chill´ about having to wait for people´s busy schedules here, and it´s been really nice this week just to play some games and read interesting books and enjoy each other´s company in between the work sessions. I will certainly miss my wonderful husband when I leave Cusco in SIX DAYS.... I can´t believe it´s already the end for me! But, I know it´s important for Daniel to stay that extra 10 days, and I am also anxious to get going on my stuff for school! So we´ll make it work. (And we´ll try to get Daniel to post at least one blog entry while I´m gone. Jejeje. [That's hehehe in Spanish!])

Yet to come before the end of this trip:

  • First (and second... and maybe third...) visit to Ocopata! Can´t wait to meet our potential partners! Hopefully this will take place this weekend.
  • Jeffrey Rathlef, our professor, collaboration mentor, and the Director for Community-Based Service and Learning at Gustavus, gets here on Sunday!! He´s here to do some study-abroad scouting for Gustavus and is also going to help us troubleshoot and make some connections. Can´t wait to see what he thinks of our progress -- and to introduce him to all our people here! =)
  • Second (and third... etc) meeting with UNICEF (and later, training!). This will probably mostly take place after I leave, but it will be super exciting to see some examples of successful projects and be able to take advantage of their experience and their willingness to train in our team.
Many exciting things are about to happen with regards to Wiñarisum Alianza de Salud... and so with that, I bid you adieu. Hope all is well, feel free to shoot us a line, and enjoy your Spanish lesson!

Un abrazo fuerte, 
Rebequita y Danielito


EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND USEFUL SPANISH PHRASES
Lesson Seven: "En la tienda" (In the store)

¿Puedo pagar los artículos extentos de derechos de aduana con Euros? (May I pay for these duty-free items with Euros?)
¿Tiene usted un producto inalámbrico? (Do you have a cordless product?)
¿Vende jabón antibacteriano embotellado? (Do you sell bottled antibacterial soap?)
¿Qué tan rápido puede revisar este rollo? (How quickly can you develop this film?)
¿Dónde puedo comprar un transformador eléctrico? (Where can I buy an electrical transformer?)
El pollo es una buena oferta esta semana. (Chicken is a good deal this week.)
Me gustaría tener una bolsa de congelador para mi helado. (I would like a freezer bag for my ice cream.)
Tengo problemas tratando de encontrar las aceitunas. (I´m having trouble finding the olives.)

No comments:

Post a Comment